The park at Valdemar Castle is a beautiful landscape park with wide lawns and stately old tall trees. In the park’s southern end, below the church stairs, there is a small garden with yew hedges and an ornamental lake. This small garden still stands out, as a beautiful version of the form that was common at the beginning of the last century.
In 1823, written by Rev. Lund, tells the story that the area bears the name “Sea” and that it was reclaimed around 1700 by Knud Juel, son of naval hero Niels Juel. The story of the lake is dated back to the mid-1600 Century. Tarp writes that Valdemars Castle was built on a small headland with a cove, that went into the south and west side of the lake and has therefore previously been part of Lunkebugten. In 2003 an extensive reorganization, which among other drainage conditions were changed, with the result that the region today appears as a large shallow lake to the immense benefit of waterfowl life that has very much flourished, for guest to enjoy. The park is named after Alexander who is the 12th generation after naval hero Niels Juel.
Valdemar's Castle was built in 1639-44 by Christian the 4th. - to the son, Valdemar Christian counted from whom the castle has its name. The king's great construction at Tåsinge began when Valdemar Christian was 17 years old, and the king saved no effort to give his son a first-class home. With Hans van Steenwinckel as builder, the king traveled a magnificent Renaissance castle in the style of and larger than his own Rosenborg. But Valdemar Christian never benefited from his castle - he preferred to travel around Europe as a commander and never settled on Tåsinge.
In 1656 he died on a battlefield in Poland, 34 years old. During the wars of Sweden (1658-1660), Valdemar Castle was occupied and badly damaged, and it was the hero Niels Juel who saved the castle from ruin. In 1678, Niels Juel initiated a comprehensive refurbishment of the castle and rebuilt it in baroque style, as the fashion of the time prescribed. The son of Niels Juel, son of Niels Juel, of the same name, chamberlain Niels Juel lived in the castle from 1723 until his death in 1766. He called the Holstein architect G.D. Tschierscke, who created the beautiful slots plant we know today with the stately porthuse, the artificial lake in front of the castle, the carriage and stables lengths along the lake and the pretty tea pavilion as point the vue out at the beach. Since 1974 the castle has been open to the public. For a great part of the year you can go to the beautiful sale, admire the decor and all the historical details, while looking forward to the fact that this wonderful, cultural-historical place is still filled with life.
Already one month old, Niels Juel was at sea for the first time. Together with his mother and his siblings, he traveled to Nørdorp in North Jutland, where he remained until he was 6 years old. Niels Juel came to the world on a wonderful spring day, Friday, May 8, 1629. Jutland had been invaded by the Austrian imperial superior Albrecht Wallenstein, who, with his wild Croatian and German soldiers, who were supplemented with cossacks, robbed and looted where they arrived. The peasants were terrified for these hordes and fled into forests and marshes, and Niels Juel's mother Sophie Sehested traveled safely to his brother Hannibal Sehested, who lived in Norway. 18 years old, Niels Juel started as a student at Sorø Academy, where the future government officials were educated. From early morning till late in the evening, the best Danish and foreign teachers gave the selected young noblemen concentrated education. Then went to Holland, where he signed up for search warrant service during today's most famous admirer, Martin Tromp, and got her practical maritime officer training. He participated in several warships in Holland and England. Later followed a period of head of a frigate in the Mediterranean. Denmark was in need of well-educated sailors and Niels Juel was called home, where he received the command in May 1655 on his first Danish ship, 'The Black Rider', who had a crew of 195 men. In 1657 Niels Juel was appointed Holmen Admiral and participated in the Karl Gustav wars 1657-60 under Frederik 3. During Christian 5th Reign, during the Skåne War, Niels Juel led the Danish Navy, which conquered Gotland in 1676. Niels Juel's biggest achievement was the victory of the Danes over a superior Swedish navy in a major wreck on Køge Bay on July 1, 1677. Niels Juel's victory raised awareness across Europe - the Swedish navy lost 20 ships without losing a single Danish ship. The victory was crucial for Denmark not losing the Skåne War. After the peace process in 1679, Niels Juel led the administration, where he Founded the fortress on Christiansø and expanded Holmen with Nyholm. Niels Juel acquired most of Tåsinge and Valdemars Slot, and in Copenhagen he made the Trotts palace at Kongens Nytorv.
The jubilee of the Danish population would not end when Admiral Niels Juel won unlawfully on July 1, 1677, the naval battle over the Swedes in Køge Bay without loss of a single Danish ship, a war company that caused Niels Juel to be considered Europe's most famous admiral. Prize money, 10% of the value of the won ships, accrued admiral Niels Juel, who in the years 1676 to 1678 earned 22,460 rigsdaler. This money had King Christian D. 5, as Valdemar's Castle now belonged, unable to cash out, so Christian D. 5 left, instead of cash, the majority of Valdemars Castle land and some scattered farm goods at Tåsinge to Niels Juel at a favor. From 1678 Valdemar's castle belonged to the genus Juel, and is now owned by the 12th generation.